Job-Hunting? Here's our Guide to Finding your Dream Job
Searching for a job can feel like a full-time job in itself. Whether you’ve just graduated from college, or want to explore a new career path, we’ve gathered some valuable resources to guide you along the way.
by Erika Jeffrey / 2021-08-19
'Just do what you love!' is very common career advice, but how do we get that job in the first place?
Job hunting is a complicated and stressful process - it can feel like there are endless hoops you have to jump through just to get an interview, let alone a job offer. First, you need a memorable CV. You also have to understand the hiring process. Then, you have to know how to interview like a champ. Oh, and you should probably network too.
If you're feeling overwhelmed, don't fret. We've combed through the lessons and insights from the best job-hunting courses out there to help you get the ball rolling.
If you’re on the hunt for your dream job, first you’ll need a resume that stands out. If the thought of drafting a curriculum vitae overwhelms you, use this course to gain a competitive edge and walk away with more interviews.
Amongst others, here are some of the key tricks to help put your CV to the top of the stack:
- So many people confuse the true mission of the CV. Many believe it’s a document that’s all about you, but it’s actually more about the employer you’re giving it to, and should be catered accordingly.
- Instead of getting preoccupied about the layout, focus more on the tone and content. Feature content that shows your talents and skills, rather than outright listing job descriptions. This grabs attention.
- There are a variety of formats to choose from. In our summary, we explain which type Careercake believes work best for each employer.
HR departments and employers have to go through hundreds of CVs to select candidates. To be plucked from the sea of applicants, you need a powerful CV. This course aims to transform your CV into a marketing document; something that speaks straight to the employer and lands you an in-person meeting.
If you’re looking for a job, this LinkedIn Learning course (from LinkedIn Learning Director Jolie Miller herself) is a great place to start. Miller has worked in a variety of companies and been on hundreds of interviews; in light of this, she’s sifted out the key components of any interview that make the biggest impact.
In her course, you can learn the following:
- Why - and how - we should cater our resume to each job;
- How to optimise your LinkedIn profile;
- How to best follow up after an interview.
If you feel overwhelmed with the whole job process, this course will put your mind at ease. It's the perfect base camp for your job hunt.
Once you’ve landed an interview, it’s your time to shine.
If you’re like the majority of the population, the thought of an interview is simultaneously exciting and terrifying. (Ok, maybe more terrifying.) In this course, Mockaitis coaches you on how to overcome common interview obstacles, so that you can leave your interviews with your head held high, instead of with your tail between your legs.
This simple and effective course teaches its students how to emphasise your best qualities; how to present your best, most charsimatic self, and how to achieve the most favorable results at job interviews.
Mockaitis provides a few powerful ways to gain an advantage, including:
- How to create your job interview strategy (hint – it's through the use of storytelling);
- Tips on how to research the company and position to give yourself an edge;
- How to improve your overall presentation.
Remember, even the most confident people in the world sometimes have issues with interviewing. Once you discover the system to prepare for an interview, you’ll be way ahead of the game. In this masterclass, you’ll combine theory and practice in the easiest and most relatable way. Time to suit up!
Internships are opportunities to gain industry experience at a company you enjoy. It's a chance to refine old skills, develop new skills, network, and get a true taste of what it’s like to work in that field.
In this course, professional career coach Valerie Sutton reveals how an internship can create a solid foundation for your career, exploring the benefits of networking and how we can best build lasting professional relationships.
Here are the three key takeaways from this insightful course:
- You don’t have to settle for an unpaid internship - there are always ways around it;
- If you can’t find an internship that aligns with your goals, create your own; (You’re not bound by the limited number of available internships out there. You can get creative and show value by coming up with a plan of your own)
- Focus on networking during your internship. (This is the most valuable opportunity an internship grants you, and you should capitalize on it. You could make a connection with someone who could lead you further down the path you’re on, or even meet someone who could show you a whole other path.)
An internship is like an extended interview. If you perform well, there is a high chance that they will either keep you on, or secure you a job at the company down the road. This course is the ticket to landing an internship in an industry that interests you. Why not test the waters before jumping in?